Rotary was founded in Chicago by Paul Harris and three other businessmen in 1905.
The group promoted fellowship among a diverse array of business leaders in the community.
Its object is to encourage and foster the ideal of service as a basis of conducting
one's affairs and in particular to encourage and foster:
- The development of
acquaintances as an opportunity for service
- High ethical standards in business and
professions, and the dignifying by each Rotarian of his occupation as an opportunity to
- The application of the ideal of service by every Rotarian to his personal,
business and community life.
- The advancement of international understanding, goodwill,
and peace through a world fellowship of business and professional people united in the ideal
Rotary advocates what it calls a FOUR-WAY TEST for the conducting
of ones's affairs. The criterion for this test follows:
- Is it the Truth?
- Is it FAIR to all concerned?
- Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIP?
- Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?